Main FAQ in Japanese
What is the meaning of "U-Tsu-Shi-O-Mi?"
Utsushiomi means something sacred that appears in this world in a human form. It also means a living human. The word is found in Kojiki, Japan's oldest extant chronicle written in the early 8th century.
What is the application of Virtual Humanoid?
Such a question can be answered as "You can use the system as a tool for distance learning or telemedical service." But such a question is missing the point, like asking people the application of television. People buy a TV set not for particular applications, but they buy it to see their favorite stars in movies, MTV and sport channels.
Similarly, people will get Virtual Humanoid to meet with movie stars, pop stars and athletes.
Why hasn't anyone come up with this idea until now?
I don't know why, but I can guess some reasons.
- Most researchers of Mixed Reality are usually image processing specialists.
- They usually don't belong to the same team as robot researchers.
- If those two groups belong to the same team, the task of image processing researchers is only to make a vision system for robots.
- Robot researchers love robots too much, so they believe everybody loves to buy robots even without any special features.
Is the half-size of the robot available?
Yes, half-size robots can be made, but the impressions of the experience would be less effective.
Is the robot indispensable for the system?
The following explanation is still a hypothesis; I need to do more research on that.
But the robot is indispensable here for the system, anyway.
The user experience is made up of the following three parts:
- When you stand in front of the blank robot, your brain builds a three-dimensional map around you.
- After your eyesight is covered with the goggles, an avatar appears. Now, your brain puts the map aside in the meantime.
- When you touch the robot, your brain recognizes that the avatar occupies the same space of the robot and the brain restores the forgotten three-dimensional map.
After these three steps, the avatar keeps strong reality in your mind due to the real body during the experience.
What is your next plan?
I will approach angel investment groups abroad because there is no seed capital in Japan.